Maritime Operations 48535 NQF Level 3
This qualification will be completed over a period of 12 months which would include theoretical knowledge as well as practical observations and assignments. The qualification is ideal for Able Seaman as well as Oilers…
• In ocean going Marine contexts.
• In coastal and ocean going fishing operations.
• In engine rooms on marine and fishing vessels.
This qualification is designed to equip qualifying learners with the knowledge and skills to conduct the essential operations associated with efficient and safe Maritime Operations.
QUALIFYING LEARNERS WILL BE ABLE TO:
• Communicate in a variety of ways and for a range of purposes.
• Use mathematics in real life situations.
• Demonstrate a range of seamanship skills.
• Handle cargo.
• Respond to emergencies at sea.
In addition, learners will be able to perform some of the following according to their choice of Electives:
• Assist with the navigation of the vessel.
• Work on a commercial fishing vessel.
• Perform basic engineering maintenance and repair operations.
Learners will generally carry out their role within the context of:
• Given ship instructions and administration and/or safety systems.
• Set maintenance procedures.
• Given inspection and testing procedures.
• Given Quality Assurance policies, procedures and processes.
• The framework of the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watch keeping for Seafarers (STCW) and the South African Maritime Safety Authority (SAMSA) regulations and licensing requirements.
The learners are also required to do on board practical’s and are assessed by the assessor for the various skills and observations.